Claiming AOW Benefits


De “Algemene Ouderdomswet” is the Dutch version of Social Security, and every person, regardless of current country of residence, is entitled to collect this benefit if you were a registered citizen in the Netherlands between the age of 15 and 65. This page contains information for people living in the United States of America who have reached retirement age and want to claim AOW benefits.

Useful contact information


  1. +1 (800) 772-1213

  2. Available 7am - 7pm Monday through Friday, or visit your local office.



  2. Postbus 576

  3. 9700 AN Groningen

  4. The Netherlands

  5. Tel +31 (0)50 316 90 10


The information below is offered as a general guideline for those who think they are eligible to receive AOW benefits. The information was collected based on personal experience and is not intended as legal advice. Be sure to check with the Social Security Administration and the Sociale Verzekeringsbank to determine your eligibility and understand how claiming AOW may impact your personal financial situation.


Any person, regardless of current nationality or country of residence is entitled to collect AOW benefits, provided you were a registered citizen in the Netherlands between the age of 15 and 65.

If you were registered as citizen in another country during that 50-year span, there is a pro-rated deduction to your benefits of 2% for every year you did were not a registered citizen.

Are you eligible for AOW? Check here (in Dutch).

Important!: Claiming AOW may affect your US SSA payments! The USA and the Netherlands have treaties to avoid double taxation, but also to avoid double payments. If you do not expect to get a substantial amount of money from your AOW, you may be better off not claiming at all!

How to Claim AOW

Strangely enough, you start your request for AOW at your local SSA office. SSA-2490-BK will be processed in the Baltimore SSA office, so your local SSA agent might not be able to track progress.

After approval, the Baltimore SSA will forward your application to the Sociale Verzekerings Bank (SVB) in Groningen. Upon receipt the SVB will investigate your claim, send you an additional form, NL/VS-202 and request missing information, if any.

What you need:

  1. SSA Pub.# 05-10196. Very good reading material that explains the application process.

  2. Your BSN (Burger Service Nummer). This is the Dutch version of your SSN. It started in 1985 as a “Fiscaal Nummer”, then became the “Sociaal-Fiscaal (SoFi) Nummer”, and ended up being called a “Burger Service Nummer”.  The numbers did not change, only the naming. Look for a 9-digit number (used to be in the form: on your Dutch tax returns, passport or drivers license.

  3. Your Dutch and US employment history, including military service.

  4. “Bewijs van Inschrijving”. Could be your birth certificate. Proof of your start-date for your AOW.

  5. “Bewijs van Uitschrijving”. From the municipality (“gemeente”) in the Netherlands where you last lived. A lot of these municipal administrations have been consolidated into regional offices, so look on the internet for where your document has to come from. Proof of your end-date of registration.

  6. Form SSA-2490-BK from the US SSA. Find it here.

  7. Form POMS GN 01702.110, also from the SSA. Instructions on how and what to fill in on SSA-2490-BK. Print out this document whenever you go to a local SSA office.

  8. A Bank Account in your name (preferably a Dutch account in Euro's, especially when expected payments are low compared to the international money transfer fees) for SVB. Transfer the money in bulk -as needed- yourself to your US account. Or spend it while in NL.

Upon approval by the SVB, you'll start receiving a monthly paycheck, with tax withheld, but no additional deductions for Dutch healthcare or other insurances. Also be on the lookout for the yearly 'Vakantiegeld' bonus, that is usually deposited in May!

How to Stop AOW Payments

Every year SVB will send you a request to complete an 'Atteste de Vita'. Payments will stop automatically if you do not respond. Alternatively, contact the SVB directly.